Have you ever thought about what it means to feed your blogging soul? That’s what’s on my mind tonight, because I’m. . . tired. And based on my own schedule that I’ve set for my blog, I have a blog post due first thing in the morning, which means that ideally I’ll get it written, uploaded, and scheduled before I go to bed tonight.
The last thing I want to do right now is write. In fact, I’d rather just take a nap. Now obviously, doing what we need to do when we don’t feel like doing it is simply part of being a grown up, and having the discipline it takes to be successful. That’s why I’m writing now, when it’s the last thing I really want to do.
That’s all well and good, but me thinks it’s better for me to do what I can to combat such feelings of exhaustion and lethargy so that I have the energy and passion to write my blog posts with more enthusiasm.
While sheer discipline is what’s getting me through this one, my past experience has shown me that regularly feeding my blogging soul leads to more creativity and enthusiasm for my blog. With that in mind, I’m thinking back on what has led to my most creative times.
Here are a few effective ways to feed your blogging soul:
- Get plenty of sleep. I’m not talking about sleeping so much that you waste away your life, but rather consistently getting seven or eight hours of sleep each night. Adequate rest is one of the best ways I’ve found to feed your blogging soul.
- Write daily, even if it’s not for publication. In fact, spending some time writing something every day that you don’t intend to publish is a great way to feed your blogging soul. There is something very freeing about freewriting or keeping a journal on a daily basis, because there is no judgment or concern about what people may think about the writing, and therefore it removes many of the barriers to creativity that pop up when we write with publication in mind.
- Do something creative, that’s unrelated to how you make a living. For example, I know very little about photography, and would likely never make money through photography, so heading out with my camera can feed my blogging soul. Since I don’t know enough about photography to look at any photos I take critically, I can just enjoy myself when I pick up my camera.
- Enjoy nature. I’m a city girl, and know very little about nature, but just getting out side and taking a walk in a beautiful place can feed my blogging soul. I live a block away from a beautiful park, and every time I go there, I end up feeling inspired and refreshed. Other nearby options for me include botanical gardens, and even garden shops, if weather is not conducive to outdoor activities.
- Exercise and eat properly. I put proper eating and exercise together because for me, those two tend to go together. If I’m watching what I eat, then I tend to be more motivated to exercise. Both things increase my energy level, and increased energy is a great way to feed your blogging soul.
- Feed your spirit. The times in my life when I’m most creative often coincide with the times when I’m most alive spiritually. When I begin to neglect spiritual disciplines, I become more lethargic, and sometimes even a little depressed. At times it’s hard to break out of that slump, but it’s worth making the effort to do so because it positively impacts every area of my life. When I’m right with God, I’m at peace and more creative, so it’s hands down the best way for me to feed my blogging soul.
How do your feed your blogging soul?
What about you? What types of things do you do to feed your blogging soul? If you’ve been neglecting your blogging soul, what one thing can you do to help replenish it?